Could a stomach
swell be next?

How is HAE impacting your life?

HAE emotional impact icon.

If you're currently living with hereditary angioedema (HAE), you may already know about the pain and discomfort attacks can cause. You're probably also aware of the many ways HAE attacks and their unpredictability can limit your life.

You're not alone. HAE attacks, or even fear of future attacks, can cause people to make lifestyle changes.

HAE Day icon.

This hae day :-) help others learn about the impact of HAE.

Results from this survey can help get important conversations started.

Get the survey results

Day-to-day life with HAE

People with HAE have reported that symptoms can interfere with many aspects of life.


said they experience anxiety*


reported that HAE prevented them from applying to certain types of jobs


reported that HAE impacted their career advancement

*In a survey of 445 people with HAE.
In a 2007-2008 survey of 457 people with HAE.

Recognizing the emotional toll of HAE

Certain emotions can persist before and after attacks—they can even trigger attacks.

Fear of HAE attacks icon.

Fear of attacks

In a 2017 survey of 445 people with HAE:

  • 50% of people experienced anxiety
  • 24% of people exhibited symptoms consistent with depression
Hereditary angioedema stress icon.


In a 2019 survey of 168 people with HAE:

  • 45% felt severely stressed
  • 55% were concerned about attacks worsening in the future§

Only 159 participants provided a response to this section of the survey.

§Only 160 participants provided a response to this section of the survey.

You deserve to live without worrying about HAE attacks all the time. If you already have a plan in place, but you're unable to manage your HAE the way you'd like to, it might be time for a change.

Learn about managing HAE

Account for changes in your HAE

The only thing you can predict about HAE is that it can always change. Location, frequency, and severity of attacks can vary. And while some attacks may be manageable, they can still have an impact. For example, a swell in your hand could potentially lead to a face swell. That's why the US Hereditary Angioedema Association (HAEA) guidelines recommend considering every attack for treatment, no matter its location.

What's next? Take what you've learned and have a conversation with your doctor! The HAE Assessment will help you get started.


What causes hereditary angioedema (HAE)?

75% of HAE cases are passed down through families. The other 25% develop HAE because of a spontaneous change in their genetic code, so family history can't always help with diagnosis.
Learn more.

Topics you might like: